Frequently asked questions
Here is a list of common questions from users of My Family Tree.
Where is my family tree information stored?
You family tree information is stored in a My Family Tree file. Most users save their family tree directly onto their device, safe in the knowledge that all the information is then kept privately on their device. Other users choose to save their files to the cloud, which is very useful for backing up or sharing with other family members. For more information on My Family Tree files click here.
How do I print?
The main chart can be printed using from the chart tool bar.
For more information on printing click here.
Which versions of Windows® are supported?
My Family Tree is compatible with the following versions of Windows:
- Windows 10
- Windows 8.1
- Windows 8
- Windows 7
- Windows Vista® (SP1 or later)
- Windows XP (SP3 only)
What is Microsoft® .NET and where do I download it?
Microsoft .NET is a software framework developed by Microsoft. When you start My Family Tree, you will be prompted to install .NET if it isn't already on the system. You are urged to keep it up to date with the relevant security and performance updates. The following .NET versions are required:
- Microsoft .NET 4.7 or later for Windows 10 (1803), Windows 10 (1709), Windows 10 (1703), Windows 10 (1607), Windows 8.1 and Windows 7 SP1.
- Microsoft .NET 4.6.1 for Windows 10 (1511), Windows 10 (1503), and Windows 8.
- Microsoft .NET 4.6 for Windows Vista SP2.
- Microsoft .NET 4.0 for Windows 7 RTM, Windows Vista SP1, and Windows XP SP3.